The residents of Tampa are inherently dependent upon the HVAC industry. It’s only fitting that Tampa’s own John Gorrie has been named the father of refrigeration and air conditioning. In the 1850s, he was the first to design and operate an air-refrigeration machine for use in hospitals so that patients could get some relief from the heat. His efforts at that time were largely overlooked but his ideas and scientific articles survived to support the evolution of successful mainstream air conditioning appliances. When our AC systems break down, we are once again in the 1850s looking for ways to beat the heat while we wait for a 24-hour AC repair technician to arrive.
While there aren’t any hard and fast rules for coping with situations like a broken AC unit, there are some things you should do and even more things you shouldn’t do.
Things you should do include:
- Be patient –HVAC companies know how important your system is and strive to provide 24-hour service to meet your needs as quickly as possible,
- Go out – going out to see a movie or to get a bite to eat will put you in a cooler environment while you wait, and
- Choose wisely –look for an HVAC company that is licensed, bonded, insured, experienced, and guarantees their work.
These are some of the things you should never do when your AC unit isn’t working:
- Use appliances that generate heat –turn off lights and use an outdoor grill or BBQ to cook instead of making the inside of your home even hotter,
- Open the refrigerator or freezer – of course it’s okay to get a drink or a food item, but leaving the doors open in an attempt to let the appliance cool the room or home will just result in spoiled food,
- Open windows or doors – unless the temperature outside your home is cooler, opening doors or windows will only circulate the heat rather than cause it to dissipate,
- Tamper with the AC unit – trying to adjust the controls with tools like screwdrivers or even trying to hit the unit with a hammer will only cause more damage to the unit, and
- Attempt repairs yourself –AC units are complex and it’s not easy or safe to work on wiring or to replace the coolant yourself. You may also cause enough damage to void any warranty you have on the unit.
Air 24/7 Air Conditioning and Heating is ready to address all of your HVAC system needs and emergencies all day every day including 24-hour AC repair services. Contact us today to schedule a repair or to set up a maintenance schedule for your AC system.